Flightbeam Studios releases Portland (KPDX-HD)

For discussion regarding FS9 and FSX
UAL736 Jay McFerdy

Flightbeam Studios releases Portland (KPDX-HD)

Post by UAL736 Jay McFerdy » January 4th, 2019, 1:28 pm

Just a quick note to let everyone who is interested know, that Flightbeam Studios has just released the long-awaited Portland (KPDX-HD) scenery for P3D v.3 & 4.

I've just downloaded my copy this morning and can't wait to check it out later this evening (might even post a pic or two)... ;)

Happy (Con)-Trails!

UAL008 Kevin Finch
VP Events

Re: Flightbeam Studios releases Portland (KPDX-HD)

Post by UAL008 Kevin Finch » January 5th, 2019, 2:36 am

You may also want to check out ORBX's free Portland city software. https://orbxdirect.com/product/cityscapeportland

UAL141 Thierry Nguepdjo

Post by UAL141 Thierry Nguepdjo » January 30th, 2019, 8:51 pm

This will be one of my first purchases once I get my new computer. I have been looking forward to PDX for a long time!

UAL043 David Cross

Post by UAL043 David Cross » February 1st, 2019, 5:14 am

I'm too getting that once released for XP. I'm also getting a new computer. But this time building it myself. A little nervous but i'll be ok. I'm getting a rockin system for just under $1,100.00.
A i7-9700, with a AIO 240 liquid cooler, Asus ROG Strix Z390-H Gaming MB, Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz . And a Samsung 970 EVO 500GB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD. This thing is going to be so fast. I'm so excited.
Looking forward to much better FPS. The processor is benchmarked ranked #2 or 3 for single core speed. If i wanted to buy a computer with these specific high end parts i would be charged more than double. Plus i already have all the cable extensions, PSU, GPU etc. Speaking of power i also ordered one of those anti static wrist bands. Need to protect my investment.

Dave.

UAL141 Thierry Nguepdjo

Post by UAL141 Thierry Nguepdjo » February 2nd, 2019, 1:53 pm

UAL043 David Cross wrote:
February 1st, 2019, 5:14 am
I'm too getting that once released for XP. I'm also getting a new computer. But this time building it myself. A little nervous but i'll be ok. I'm getting a rockin system for just under $1,100.00.
A i7-9700, with a AIO 240 liquid cooler, Asus ROG Strix Z390-H Gaming MB, Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz . And a Samsung 970 EVO 500GB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD. This thing is going to be so fast. I'm so excited.
Looking forward to much better FPS. The processor is benchmarked ranked #2 or 3 for single core speed. If i wanted to buy a computer with these specific high end parts i would be charged more than double. Plus i already have all the cable extensions, PSU, GPU etc. Speaking of power i also ordered one of those anti static wrist bands. Need to protect my investment.

Dave.
That sounds awesome and you are definitely saving money! I wish I had the understanding to build my own instead of having to fork out $$ to Jetline Systems. I will finally be making the jump from FSX to P3D on my next system here in a few months but given that you mentioned XP, what are your thoughts on it? I may look to try it out.

UAL043 David Cross

Post by UAL043 David Cross » February 3rd, 2019, 1:00 am

A lot of people have come over to XP from P3D. So that should say something i guess. I have only used Xplane. But I am very happy with it. More and more aircraft and scenery developers are transitioning to XP. The fan base is growing every year. Honestly, the looks of this sim and the way aircraft handle are outstanding. The lighting is so nice. And they have there own VR support. Meaning, you don't need a 3rd party plugin to run VR.
The FPS in VR is good. Pretty much what ever you get without vr is the same in vr. Very well done. I don't haev much to compare too though. As I have only used XP. But I have spent $1000.00's on this hobby. Fell in love with this sim the very first flight i did.
Hope that helps.
Check out Johnfly and catstrator You tube videos. They both fly and stream Xplane every week. Johnfly about every day.
The best aircraft in my book for XP is the FF A320U.

Dave

UAL141 Thierry Nguepdjo

Post by UAL141 Thierry Nguepdjo » February 3rd, 2019, 7:18 am

I'll check them out, thanks!

UAL008 Kevin Finch
VP Events

Post by UAL008 Kevin Finch » February 8th, 2019, 10:27 am

UAL 411 Thierry Nguepdjo wrote:
February 2nd, 2019, 1:53 pm
That sounds awesome and you are definitely saving money! I wish I had the understanding to build my own instead of having to fork out $$ to Jetline Systems. I will finally be making the jump from FSX to P3D on my next system here in a few months but given that you mentioned XP, what are your thoughts on it? I may look to try it out.
I've built my own for some time and it's not much more difficult than putting together a model airplane (do people still do that?). There are plenty of online tutorials and it's hard to mess things up if you follow directions from the board manufacturers. Of course, there's no warranty, other than on the individual parts. I've never had an issue, though. My current machine - due for replacing - is nine years old, with an Intel i7-920. Along the way, I've doubled the RAM (to 12Mb) and the SS storage (512Mb C and 1Tb D, the latter having my sim files), and upgraded the video card. Nothing has died yet, just needed more memory/storage/photo editing oomph. Even this nine-year-old machine runs P3DV4, PMDG, Majestic, QW, FSDT, Flightbeam, FlyTampa, etc.