This week at Virtual United 10/30/15

All NOTAM's from staff will go here. Please check back often
UAL001 Gary Price
CEO

This week at Virtual United 10/30/15

Post by UAL001 Gary Price » October 31st, 2015, 12:37 am

Just a quick note to catch you all before you head out trick-or-treating on Saturday night.

October is almost in the books and the VA has flown almost 7,000 hours this month. If I gave you another 6,000 hours target again this month, most of you would have laughed at me. I will update our monthly totals in the next couple days. November will be another month where there is no official target, so be ready for a big number for December. The plan is to finish the year strong!!!

On November 1, VUAL will be re-opening its Training dept. for pilots looking for any kind of help with their virtual flying. UAL011 David Walton is our Chief Pilot and is ready and willing to help. The plan is to start small, and grow the dept as the demand increases. David is available at training@virtualunitedairlines.org. He has a section on the forum (Training Academy), and is always on TeamSpeak. Please do not be afraid to reach out to him. The more work he gets the bigger and better the dept will become. The initial idea is to provide the following:

Current training consists of:

a. VATSIM help
b. Communications with ATC help
c. How to fly
d. FMC help
e. How to make better landings (should be no shortage of pilots signing up here, have you looked at the home page lately???? Yikes?!?!?)

Resources are:

1. Reading materials, on site and forum
2. Videos
3. Joint flight training w/chief pilot
4. Possible co-pilot training w/chief pilot

There are going to be more FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) threads in the forum to help our new pilots (and old pilots who forget stuff) with any questions. When it comes to training, however, please keep the following in mind:
1. Training is 100% optional. No flight hour credit will be given to pilots for attending training. No pireps will be submitted from a pilot for hours spent in training. Training is completely outside of our normal flight operations.
2. Pilots are still responsible to complete one flight per month per the Ops Manual (anyone know what that is?!?).

Lastly, we had to make a change in our HR department earlier this week. Fred Shepherd, our VP of HR had to step away to take care of a family member's serious health issue. Fred had hoped to stay on, as he really enjoys the "work" at the VA, but it was time to step away. Larry Bell, who just became our Asst. VP of HR is moving up to the VP position. We will be looking for help in the dept. sometime down the road. Fred will remain on as a pilot and is joining the Denver hub. Hopefully we will see Fred flying online again soon as UAL217.

With that, I will let you all get back to your Halloween preparations (heck, I have seen some of your photos, and many of you don't even need a scary costume..... WOW!!!).

See you in the skies!

regards,
Gary Price
UAL001
Chief Executive Officer
Virtual United Airlines