FS9... hello out there?

Have a problem with FS9? Provide as much information as possible!
UAL124 Joel Wolk

FS9... hello out there?

Post by UAL124 Joel Wolk » March 28th, 2018, 5:48 pm

Hello all...

I'm new to the airline and an FS9 user... just pinging for other FS9 users out there... or am I possibly the last?

Just wondering the "story" if you're still on FS9 here in 2018...

As for me... I got on it just before FSX was released. I didn't move to FSX right away to preserve frame rates. Then I had to replace that computer in 2012. Again, I considered FSX but because FS9 was so stable and I was getting such good frame rates with the sliders maxxed, I figured why mess with a good thing? And that brings me to today.

I use Active Sky Evolution for real-time weather - works great, looks great. Flying the Dreamwings Embraer 170 for vUAL - has great handling and looks very nice in UAL globe livery. Didn't really like any of the EMB panels I found so I actually have the plane aliased to a CRJ panel if you can believe that. Actually works pretty well.

I do have a plan - do want to get another 2 years (give or take) out of this system and then buy a new higher end desktop and migrate to Prepar3d whatever version is out at that time.

Anyone else?

UAL909 Filipe Nunez

Re: FS9... hello out there?

Post by UAL909 Filipe Nunez » April 1st, 2018, 8:04 pm

Not FS9, but I still use FSX, got it running smoothly with all addons so no need for me to "upgrade" to Prepar3, if it ain't broke i ain't fixing it, plus its a costly transfer to newer sim...will go into newer flight sim till my PC breaks, which will be a few more years :mrgreen:

UAL371 Jonathan Stevens

Post by UAL371 Jonathan Stevens » April 19th, 2018, 5:41 pm

Of course I’m still using FS9. 8-)

The last of the truly great flight simlations. Without the washed out cartoon graphics, bad performance and ooms.
So smooth, so good.

UAL233 Franklin Dermody

Post by UAL233 Franklin Dermody » May 19th, 2018, 12:15 am

I almost always fly my vUAL flights with FS9. I research airports to find the latest runway layout and navaids, and if there isn't a reasonable facsimile in FS9 to download, then I will try to find one in FSX, my recent completion of the China Tour being a case in point.
I just find FS9 to be more stable. I got FSX a couple of years ago, and I am still trying to get everything just the way I like it. I got spoiled with FS9. Make that "SpoilT" with a capital "T" just to give it a little more emphasis! I am sure I will come to grips with FSX, but it's gonna take a couple more years. Right now for the most part, FS9 is where it's at!

UAL124 Joel Wolk

Post by UAL124 Joel Wolk » May 24th, 2018, 12:19 pm

Great responses --- thanks everyone! Guess I am not quite the last "holdout" on FS9 :D

Franklin, I echo your sentiment about how stable FS9 is. So - the graphics are dated - I see that every time I pull up videos posted to YouTube from folks using latest versions of X-Plane or P3D. I have stuck with FS9 because the time I can allocate to flight simming is very limited due to RW commitments -- so for me it's all about getting virtually airborne with as little muss and fuss as possible. And it's nice to have those great frame rates in all flying and weather conditions, too!

Certainly, I have the greatest respect for those who can and do spend a lot of time tuning their flight sim setup, add-ons, updates, etc - I hope to be there one day, myself :) we shall see!

Great thing about flight simulator is that each may have a different approach to it than another, but in the end we're all one big happy virtual family sharing a passion for flight sim and aviation in general!