Multitude of issues with FSX following Windows 8.1 update..

Have a problem with FSX? Provide as much information as possible!
UAL610 David Bernard

Multitude of issues with FSX following Windows 8.1 update..

Post by UAL610 David Bernard » December 27th, 2013, 7:21 pm

Ever since I updated to Windows 8.1, so much keeps happening with FSX for me. First, I kept getting a "Microsoft Flight Simulator Has Stopped Working" error message whenever I clicked on the "start flight" button. I found out that I could avoid this by running the program with the DirectX preview option in the settings, but now half of my AI and user aircraft only load white textures (it depends on the aircraft model, not each individual plane. E.g. All of my A330s don't load textures, but my A320s do). Also, I installed FSInn the other day and I keep getting the Fatal Error message, something I had luckily gone 2 months straight without somehow... I'm pretty sure I have the UIAutomationCore file in the system, but I'll check again... Any suggestions to help with my issues, besides going back to a newer version of Windows - trust me! If I could, I would!

UAL245 Kevin Williams

Re: Multitude of issues with FSX following Windows 8.1 updat

Post by UAL245 Kevin Williams » December 28th, 2013, 2:52 pm

I've not had good luck with 8.1 either. Running DX10 preview helped last a bit longer but fsx still always crashed. I ended up partitioning and duel booting with windows 7.

UAL603 Zach Williams

Post by UAL603 Zach Williams » January 4th, 2014, 5:50 pm

While I don't have Windows 8 I would recommend going back to Windows 7 because FSX was not designed for it. I would expect for it to work but sadly there are a lot of people reporting problems with it on Windows 8 such as the ones you have.

UAL003 Larry Bell
VP Human Resources

Post by UAL003 Larry Bell » January 6th, 2014, 1:35 am

FSX and Windows 8 do not like each other much. Before windows 8. The only problem was none. Then I bought a $1400.00 Laptop with windows 8 and then nothing but problems. Nothing like doing a long haul and having fsx crash right while you are landing. Or flying on vatsim and having to do a visual landing and have your controllers disconnect. Go back to window 7 if you can.
UAL003 Larry Bell
VP of Human Resources

UAL610 David Bernard

Post by UAL610 David Bernard » January 9th, 2014, 1:05 pm

I don't know if Windows 7 is an option. I'm in the process of trying and when I went to the HP website last night I found that my particular computer model doesn't have drivers for Windows 7. Then HP says quote, "If the operating system you are looking for is not listed on the software download site, HP does not have software or driver downloads available for your computer and operating system. HP provides software and driver updates for the operating system that originally came with your computer as it was designed and tested for the operating system purchased with the PC. Changing the operating system on your computer (upgrading or downgrading), puts the system into a configuration that might not work with the hardware design." I don't know what to do! I don't want to risk my computer malfunctioning, but I just want to get past the message that says "Microsoft Flight Simulator has Stopped Working"! I run in DirectX 10 preview now, but it doesn't load half of the texture files correctly, so half of both my aircraft and the AI aircraft are completely white and much of the ground texture is "snowy" like TV static. Is there any other fix?

UAL909 Filipe Nunez

Post by UAL909 Filipe Nunez » January 26th, 2014, 8:46 am

I use Windows 8 , after a couple headaches and google searches, I managed it to work, somehow :|

1. Reinstall FSX into a new file, ie C:FSX, NOT Program or Programs(x86)
2. Do the UIAutomationCore thing
3. In Device Manager under Universal Serial Bus Controllers, right-click on all USB Root Hub, then Properties, then Power Management tab, uncheck "allow the computer to turn off....."

So far that has help FSX to run "stable" with the rarity of the controller turning off, if all else fails use Windows 7, good luck 8-) .... I heard 2 weeks ago Microsoft announced the release of Windows 9 next january to "fix the problems with Windows 8" :shock: :lol: