Need help buying new PC for FSX and work.

Have a problem with FSX? Provide as much information as possible!
UAL126 Frank Marafiote

Need help buying new PC for FSX and work.

Post by UAL126 Frank Marafiote » October 2nd, 2013, 6:26 pm

My Dell dual core (6600 @ 2.4 GHz) is about five years old. Earlier this year I added more RAM and a better video card -- my FS2004 with REX, AES, PMDG, lots of payware scenery has been running very well. But there are too many new programs and payware AC (can you say, PMDG 777?) that I would love to have, so it is time to get a new system and I am looking for some advice and general comments from my UAL colleagues.

It's important to know that 75% of the new PCs use will be for work (I teach online and run a marketing/PR business from my PC). That is its primary mission.

There are several givens here:

1) Whatever system I get needs to excel at its primary mission, i.e. being able to run my business and keeping it profitable.
2) I will not buy an off-brand gaming PC like Alienware, CyberPower, Xforce PC etc. etc.
3) I have neither the technical skills nor the time to build my own system.
4) I have a budget that will go up to $2K, including the monitor.

The Dell PC that I've owned for the last five years has been flawless. Not a single issue. None. I'm feeling pretty brand loyal these days. I will probably use the older PC as a second device for FSX and run various add-ons like ACARS, REX, EFB, whatever, from that PC.

Here's what my list of components looks like at the moment --

> 4th gen i7 Intel processor. I know that some processors with the "k" can be overclocked but I am not likely to do that -- it seems to add more risk and the need for other cooling components.

> 16 GB RAM (not sure if I can or need to specify a certain type of RAM)

> 2 Hard drives, 1 T min -- one smaller drive will be solid state for FSX.

> Windows 7 (know this OS rather well -- is 64 bit important?)

> GTX760 or GTX660 with 2 GB if I can get it.

> New 23 inch monitor, the old one will still run off my older Dell. Not really interested in multi-screen set-ups for actual flying.

> Then the usual add-ons -- sound card, speakers, keyboard, mouse, Internet card and Wifi.

Questions: 1) any component preferences or specs that I should consider? 2) Even though this would be considered "top of the line" for most home business PCs, in terms of running FSX is this investment worth it do you think? In other words, will I be able to use FSX the way I do FS2004 now? Or should I just forget the idea, buy a mid-end PC and continue to fly FS2004?

Any comments or specific recommendations would be most appreciated!

-- Frank, UAL126

UAL009 Eric Fields
VP of Public Relations

Re: Need help buying new PC for FSX and work.

Post by UAL009 Eric Fields » October 16th, 2013, 5:50 am

Check out DigitalStorm.com. got my power pc here about 2 years ago. A little more expensive but the customer service has been OUTSTANDING. I highly recommend them. Also look at the reviews. Top notch US based company with a stellar high end computer builder. You can customize any machine and they kept me in the loop all the way through the build. Skip the big names like HP Dell Alienware etc. Nowdays they are crap.

Eric

UAL126 Frank Marafiote

Re: Need help buying new PC for FSX and work.

Post by UAL126 Frank Marafiote » October 16th, 2013, 11:21 am

Thanks, Eric. I know you meant to be helpful and I should have posted this last week, but I ultimately went with the Alienware Aurora R-4 after looking at some of other brands. I admit that a long, satisfactory history with Dell has done much to solidify my brand loyalty. I'm very excited about finally being able to run FSX and also finding out how much of my current fleet and addons can be used there.

In terms of specs, (I give these realizing I don't really know what I am talking about), it will have a i7-4820K Proc (4-cores, 10MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.2 GHz w/ Turbo Boost), 16GB Quad Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz, some kind of water cooling system (I think), 2TB SATA 6Gb/s (7,200RPM) 64MB Cache, Nvidea GTX770 card with 2 GB GDDR5, a 24 inch ultra sharp monitor, 875 power supply, and the usual other goodies (speakers, media card reader, DVD player, etc. Windows 7 64 bit. I THINK this should put me in the right direction.

I still want to get a better internet router for my old PC and the Nexus 7 tablet which will be running to-be-determined support software.

So that's where things are. I figured I could spend another two months doing research, but I really want to fly and get some new AC, some better planning software, sceneries, etc.

The monitor should arrive today. The main system is scheduled for delivery next Friday.

My thanks to those who read, replied, offered their thoughts.

Frank - UAL126