Changing conmtuters, what do I need?

Have a problem with FSX? Provide as much information as possible!
UAL463 Tom Baird

Changing conmtuters, what do I need?

Post by UAL463 Tom Baird » May 3rd, 2019, 2:32 pm

I've been running FSX on an older HP with windows 7 pro 64 bit. It's a fairly minimum system with Intel i5-3470 3.2 ghz, 8 GB, and standard Intel HD graphics. FSX aborts if I overload the graphics like landing at a major airport. Kind of a pain. I'd like to stay with FSX and am ready to upgrade my system. I've read quite a few reviews that say I need a high speed CPU, lots of memory, and a powerful video card. Can anyone give me any specific recommendations for a configuration that will run FSX well? I don't need to use the highest graphic settings but would like enough so I can see some details at the airports. Also, I'm leaning toward windows 10 since support for 7 is ending soon. Does FSX run ok on windows 10?

UAL008 Kevin Finch
VP Events

Re: Changing conmtuters, what do I need?

Post by UAL008 Kevin Finch » May 4th, 2019, 9:00 am

Probably the biggest performance factor is FSX being a 16-bit app so it can't address more than 4Gb of memory, regardless of how many gigs you install in your computer. Not sure if you're using Steam or FSX boxed; I had better results with the Steam version.

If it's locking up at complex airports, with/without complex PMDGs et al, your best bet is to dial back your settings.

And, when you fly online, put limits on how many aircraft appear around you: vPilot - settings - performance. Check your AI settings if you only fly offline but with an AI package. In FSX settings, you can dial back water quality, vehicles at the airports, static aircraft, etc.

Check out https://www.avsim.com/files/file/41-bas ... ion-guide/ for more tips.

Depending on which addons you use, you may need to buy entirely new versions if you upgrade to P3D; some are no-charge, others have a discounted price for existing clients. That makes XPlane a worthy consideration. I upgraded to P3D a few years ago but I'm looking at XPlane going forward.

Cheers.

UAL909 Filipe Nunez

Post by UAL909 Filipe Nunez » May 10th, 2019, 5:47 pm

honestly all you need is a video card, onboard graphics wont work well with FSX, i suggest a gt 1050 or 1060, i still run FSX with basically the same hardware as yours (~10yrs old) on medium high with bunch of addons and no issues, if you plan on P3D or Xplane 11, then youll need better hardware,

My 10yr old specs lol
i5 2500k 3.30Ghz
8Gb RAM
500Gb SSD HD
2x GT1050 4Gb vRAM

UAL008 Kevin Finch
VP Events

Post by UAL008 Kevin Finch » May 16th, 2019, 9:55 am

Specs for my 10yr old system; some upgrades along the way...

i7-920
ASUS PT6 Deluxe MB
12Gb of RAM (up from 6)
AMD R9-200 (forget what the original was)
500gb SSD (OS)
1T Samsung EVO (sim software)
6T WD for photo editing
Dell 24" IPS monitor
Samsung 27" monitor (ACARs, ActiveSky, vPilot, TS)

I'm away right now so I can't give you anything more specific.

Running P3D v4.5.