On-going FSX crashes

Have a problem with FSX? Provide as much information as possible!
UAL463 Tom Baird

On-going FSX crashes

Post by UAL463 Tom Baird » February 19th, 2018, 5:29 pm

Have been living with this problem quite a while. Running windows 7 with FSX and I get an FSX shuts down with an error message that just says it failed. I know this has been reported before but using the fixes I could find the problem persists. Often happens just as I'm about to land but also happens quickly if I start at a busy terminal such LAX or DEN. I have lowered the scenery detail to sparse, so I no longer see the buildings and failure may take longer. I have seen answers concerning a video buffer that fills up and wondering if I need a hardware upgrade. I'm running on a basic HP with Intel graphics HD video and have the latest driver. Any suggestions?

UAL005 Jared Yost
VP IT and Web Technology

Re: On-going FSX crashes

Post by UAL005 Jared Yost » February 19th, 2018, 8:14 pm

Hi Tom,
Try checking the Windows Event Log (Application Support Section once in the program) after a crash to see if there are any more details there. Feel free to post a picture/text of the error log and I can try my best to see if I see anything.
---
Jared Yost
UAL005
VP-IT and Web Technology
Virtual United Airlines

VATSIM Status

IVAO Status

projectFLY

UAL044 Kevin Finch

Post by UAL044 Kevin Finch » February 20th, 2018, 2:49 am

While FSX does not take advantage of a GPU the way newer software does - FSX is more CPU intensive - HP graphics may not be enough to run FSX well. That said, you didn't mention which CPU you were using. Also, flying into a third party airport instead of the stock FSX airports, using software such as ORBX, weather generators, etc., and/or third party aircraft from PMDG, Majestic, Captain Sim et al eats up the 4Mb of RAM that FSX can use. Even if your PC has more than 16Mb of RAM, 16-bit FSX can only use 4Mb.

I think things improved a little between FSX and FSX Steam Edition but the 4Mb RAM limit still applies.

There are some tweaks that you can make on the Windows side, too, that will help FSX run smoother but it sounds like your stock HP Graphics is the culprit.

UAL044 Kevin Finch

Post by UAL044 Kevin Finch » February 20th, 2018, 2:56 am

And, I hate to say but sometimes setting aside a weekend to properly uninstall and reinstall FSX is the answer; it was an annual chore for many FS9 users back in the day.

If you're using FSX Steam Editon, you can reset that to original install status through the Steam website. As I recall, the instructions are in the FSX:SE FAQ.

Check to make sure the HP Graphics drivers are the current ones; you may need to visit your PC builder's website for the latest drivers.

UAL463 Tom Baird

Post by UAL463 Tom Baird » February 20th, 2018, 1:13 pm

Thanks for the replies. I agree that I probably need a better graphics unit. I would like to try the application support idea but don't know how to use it. Can you give me more information?

UAL005 Jared Yost
VP IT and Web Technology

Post by UAL005 Jared Yost » February 20th, 2018, 5:32 pm

Tom,
The Application Support is just a place where all the error logs are stored. It will not necessarily tell you the problem or fix your issue, it will simply tell you what caused the crash is all.
---
Jared Yost
UAL005
VP-IT and Web Technology
Virtual United Airlines

VATSIM Status

IVAO Status

projectFLY

UAL463 Tom Baird

Post by UAL463 Tom Baird » February 22nd, 2018, 1:57 pm

There's obviously a lot I don't understand. I set all display options to max to create a quick failure and it hasn't failed since. Guess I'll just wait and see. Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the help.