VATSIM proposing new Pilot Rating System

VATSTAR, the official Authorized Training Organization of vUAL. Questions can be posted here for other pilots to help answer, or go to www.vatstar.com and email an instrucstor!
UAL008 Kevin Finch
VP Events

VATSIM proposing new Pilot Rating System

Post by UAL008 Kevin Finch » April 6th, 2020, 4:55 pm

Please see https://www.vatsim.net/news/restructuri ... ing-system for more info on this topic, but n a nutshell:

"Earlier this week the Board of Governors released their meeting minutes for the fourth quarter of 2019, and with that unveiled the long-awaited new pilot rating system for the VATSIM Network. This new system is designed to match its real-life counterpart and follows a realistic progression in a pilot’s evolution of training, but also a clear-cut set of standards that must be completely met to proficiency in order to earn these new pilot ratings.

"VATSIM’ Authorized Training Organizations are already working hard to implement these new changes in their training programme, and the new system is planned to launch June 1st. The new ratings will be as follows:

P0: Basic VATSIM Member
P1: Private Pilot Licence (PPL)
P2: Instrument Rating (IR)
P3: Commercial Multi-Engine Licence (CMEL)
P4: Airline Transport Licence (ATPL)

"Existing P1 pilot ratings: Will be granted a P0 under the new system given the consensus no real flying skills were tested in this process as it was a theory only examination.

"Existing P2-P3 pilot ratings: Will be granted a P1 (PPL) in the new system under the consensus only basic VFR flight skills and knowledge was examined in these ratings.

"Existing P4-P5 pilot ratings: Will be granted a P2 (IR) in the new system under the consensus only basic IFR skills and knowledge was examined in these ratings.

"Additionally, current P5's that utilized a multi engine aircraft should check with their ATO about be awarded a P3 under the new system, as only certain ATO’s will be able to offer this."

So far, there is no implementation date.

Reaction so far? Not good.

VATStar stopped booking P3 and P5 training on April 1. They will keep the material online but there will not do any Written Exams or Checkrides, and they won't be providing certifications. P1, P2, and P4 will continue. VATStar is not closing but says under VATSIM's changes, training P3 and P5 do not make sense anymore.

BVARTCC (Boston ARTCC) says, "Sadly...it's been determined that, as of June 1, we'll be terminating our status as an ATO. The new ratings program VATSIM has designed requires in-aircraft instruction (as it covers things like stalls, steep turns, and other actual flying skills). This is not aligned with our program, which is designed to teach how to safely operate an aircraft within the ATC system. We feel that's a much better use for a flight simulator than trying to assess a pilot's ability to "fly" without force feedback."

You can voice your reaction to VATSIM's plans by contacting VATSIM staff: https://www.vatsim.net/staff

UAL916 Ray Browell

Re: VATSIM proposing new Pilot Rating System

Post by UAL916 Ray Browell » April 7th, 2020, 5:48 am

So does this change any of the flying on Vatsim? Meaning if one holds a P0, P1, etc they can only fly certain AC types etc?
If I could I would. If I don't, it's because I am lazy!

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

UAL008 Kevin Finch
VP Events

Post by UAL008 Kevin Finch » April 7th, 2020, 10:18 am

Not that I'm aware of, not anymore than the current system does.

I believe VATSIM will require new membership applicants to acquire a P0 before they will be allowed to log on to the network; all existing VATSIM members would be grand-fathered and issued a P0 when the new rating system goes into effect, so no access restrictions for existing members.

UAL916 Ray Browell

Post by UAL916 Ray Browell » April 7th, 2020, 6:37 pm

Ah ok. Well, in a dying breed, that is a sure fire way for new members to give them the ol' 1 finger salute on the way back out the door. I wouldn't get any certification to fly a virtual game on a virtual network. Controlling is different obviously. If a pilot sucks and is a clown and disrupting the session kick and ban them simple as that.
If I could I would. If I don't, it's because I am lazy!

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

UAL008 Kevin Finch
VP Events

Post by UAL008 Kevin Finch » April 13th, 2020, 2:51 am

One other impact of VATSIM's proposed changes...

Pilots who have P1 or P2, etc., in their profile name would need to have their hub management change their profile name.

And, if VATSIM redoes their rating system again, the name would need to be changed again.

For that reason, I suggest that no rating information be included in a pilot's profile name.

UAL008 Kevin Finch
VP Events

Post by UAL008 Kevin Finch » May 21st, 2020, 7:02 pm

Originally scheduled for June 1, implementation is now scheduled for September 1 this year.