P2 Rating Question

VATSTAR, the official Authorized Training Organization of vUAL. Questions can be posted here for other pilots to help answer, or go to www.vatstar.com and email an instrucstor!

Moderator: UAL004 Danny Vinson

UAL916 Ray Browell

P2 Rating Question

Post by UAL916 Ray Browell » January 5th, 2018, 7:48 pm

Is P2 rating instructor only or is it stand alone as well like P1 was? I only ask due to my schedule being so bad now days with schooling. I'm 45 and 3 months shy of the door for graduation. Busy busy! Now that I got P1, P2 is kicking me in the pants real hard. :D
If I could I would. If I don't, it's because I am lazy!

UAL044 Kevin Finch

Re: P2 Rating Question

Post by UAL044 Kevin Finch » January 8th, 2018, 11:14 am

P2 is a little more complex than P1, in that it involves an online verbal test and checkride; two separate events; TeamSpeak needed for both. You schedule an online session with one of the VATSTAR instructors, lasts about 30-60 minutes. When you pass the verbal, you schedule the checkride (you have to d/l some software for the examiner to see what you're doing; somewhat like a shared cockpit; pretty easy to configure). The checkride takes about 30-45 minutes. I flew the Cessna because it's usually between one towered and one non-towered airfield, depending what's online.

One tip, regarding the VATSTAR training materials... There's usually a challenge question at the top and they say that if you get it correct, you can advance to the next lesson. I suggest that you read every lesson and complete the short quiz at the end. It will give you a better sense of how well prepared you are for the online verbal test.

I passed both on the first attempt, even though I do precious little GA flying; working on my P4 - IFR - right now.

My recommendation would be to hold off until you graduate and then set aside some time to go through the VATSTAR P2 training. It's not like your vUAL virtual pay is going up for the extra qualification... :D

UAL916 Ray Browell

Post by UAL916 Ray Browell » January 23rd, 2018, 1:58 am

I hear ya on waiting. Yeah, I'm about 2 months to the door. Last classes start in Feb I should be done sometime around the end of March or early April.

I'm actually trying to figure out if it is worth the effort or not (P2). I really struggle with flying anymore. Years back it was nothing to turn in 200 hours a month and work full time. Now, I'm lucky to fly once a month just to stay alive in the VA. I wish it had as much meaning to me as it once did. I am trying to get some steam back in me. I have been flying on FS Economy a lot lately.

UAL044 Kevin Finch

Post by UAL044 Kevin Finch » January 25th, 2018, 9:08 pm

Once your studies are done, Ray, touch base with me and we can do some flights together. Outside of events, the skies aren't as crowded and ATC can be sparse. You might re-catch the spark... 😀

Maybe we can earn our P3s together. 🛩

UAL916 Ray Browell

Post by UAL916 Ray Browell » January 30th, 2018, 12:22 am

Yeah thats cool chief. I'll catch up with you for sure. And Halifax Eh? I got a buddy that lives in Amherst and is a drummer in a band called Cool Water. He used to play with a fella in a AC DC tribute band called loaded dice.

But anyway, yeah I'll surely look you up to do some flying. I try to get on TS here every now and again but I'm not high enough on the energy level as these guys and I end up swallowing 3 valiums to keep my mind right lol Don't get me wrong I love flying but man the spark has just went out. Hopefully soon as school is done I can dedicate more time to it depending on how busy my workbench is.