P1 Begins

VATSTAR, the official Authorized Training Organization of vUAL. Questions can be posted here for other pilots to help answer, or go to www.vatstar.com and email an instrucstor!

Moderator: UAL004 Danny Vinson

UAL916 Ray Browell

P1 Begins

Post by UAL916 Ray Browell » Nov 21st, '17, 03:39

SO I recently registered at Vatstar and somehow I did something on a standalone feature? I am not real sure. I am lost.

Anyone tell me what I need do over there to get started? I know I need to know Zulu as well but man I suck at it. I have to use a cheat sheet or I will get it wrong every single time.
If I could I would. If I don't, it's because I am lazy!

UAL277 Kevin Finch

Re: P1 Begins

Post by UAL277 Kevin Finch » Nov 21st, '17, 07:51

Two options on the Zulu time, Ray. There's a website called timeanddate.com where you can "translate" from one time zone to another. By far, the simpler method, is to get a cheap digital clock (I got one at Radio Shack) and set it to Zulu time.

The P1 is not too difficult; self study followed by an online exam. Pass and you will be P1 certified. Let your hub manager know when you complete the test and your P1 award will be added to your profile page.

The P2 and later certs pick up the pace, with a checkride part of qualification requirements. A lot to learn but it will enrich your simming experience greatly.

See you in the friendly skies.

UAL916 Ray Browell

Post by UAL916 Ray Browell » Nov 30th, '17, 16:36

Thanks for the info chief. And sorry for such a slow reply. Man life has taken a sudden turn for the very worst and just haven't had the spunk to get on lately.

That stand-alone thing over there, is that something I should not have done or was that ok? I read everywhere one is supposed to schedule a session with a instructor and all that and I never did. I clicked a link one day ignorantly enough and it said I was in the process of doing (Something not sure what) in stand alone.

UAL214 Tomas Hansson

Post by UAL214 Tomas Hansson » Dec 1st, '17, 11:01

The P1 is all self-paced training where you go through the material, answer a few questions on each page, and when you reach the end, you have your P1. You do have the option to schedule a time with an instructor but there is absolutely no need to do so if you are comfortable to go through the material on your own. I believe 99% of our P1 students just click their way through the sessions without ever chatting with an instructor. Once you have your P1, the door will open to the more advanced ratings; first the P2 (the basics) and then you can chose to do the P3 (VFR) and/or P4 and P5 (IFR). If you do need some help getting started on the site, definitely schedule a time with an instructor. If you can't find anyone available during the hours that you are free, post a request using the Student menu -> Schedule Training -> Can't Find a Date function.
Tomas Hansson
VATSIM Supervisor
VATSTAR Pilot Instructor (P1-P5, Oceanic)

UAL916 Ray Browell

Post by UAL916 Ray Browell » Dec 10th, '17, 17:28

Oh ok I see. I appreciate your setting that matter straight for me. I was wondering why the scheduling with an instructor and then the standalone thing. Now it all makes sense. Thank you very much.

And sorry so slow on the reply. Its been a very bad month. Personal tragedy has hit the wife and I and flight sim is in the back of my mind right now.

Thanks again Tomas. I appreciate it.

UAL916 Ray Browell

Post by UAL916 Ray Browell » Dec 10th, '17, 20:01

Well, I just went back and went to it. I completed P1 rating tonight.

UAL004 Danny Vinson
Assistant VP Human Resources

Post by UAL004 Danny Vinson » Dec 11th, '17, 22:21

Great to hear Ray!
Shoot your HM and AHM an email and let them know so they can show the award and the P1 next to your name!

Looking forward to seeing you on the P2 roster! :)
Danny R Vinson,UAL004
Asst VP Human Resources

• Public Relations Manager

UAL916 Ray Browell

Post by UAL916 Ray Browell » Dec 12th, '17, 03:05

Thanks Danny!

I'll check into P2 and see what it entails and time wise. Right now I am getting ready to start a few more classes for school. My end date for schooling is in April. After that I should be full of nothing but spare time to fill.

Hows the staff at United treating you? Give Gary 5 knuckles if you have to! lol I used to be one of the web guys here a few years back before life got in the way.

Take care! Catch you soon working on P2!

Ray