ACARS & flight bidding..

Notice a problem or have questions about the schedules?

Moderator: UAL007 Jonathan Kost

UAL043 David Cross

ACARS & flight bidding..

Post by UAL043 David Cross » February 19th, 2018, 4:11 pm

Hello new pilot here. well new to UAL V. I'm happy to be apart of a very active VA. My last one cough cough, didn't even have a forum lol.
Anyway, I fly using X-plane. and in the plugins of xplane i have to have XPUIPC running with my computers IP to use the ACARS from my other VA.
I see you guys have two versions of ACARS. "ACARS" and "Smartcars V2" The Smartcars layout looks almost identical to what I'm use to using. But the top option, "ACARS" looks like it gathers more info During the flight.
1) Which ACARS do most people use? Will only one of them work with my current plugin XPUIPC?
I also believe I read the "Smartcars" will not allow charter flights. SO I think my only choice is the top choice UAL ACARS
2) If I don't want the plugin, or say It doesn't like an addon in the future. How do I compete a manual PiRep?
2) This bidding on flights on the website is new to me. If I bid on the flight, I guess it will automatically show up when i log into the ACARS system?
3) I will likely do a ton of charter flights. So these flights I gather i just fill out the info in the ACARS PRGM. Will the actual PiREP be the only proof needed? Or do I need to provide a link to PEAWARE since I fly mainly on PilotEdge? I gather I only would need a link to prove the flight is if I do not use the ACARS.
4) And finally, Does this VA have anything to where you can virtually purchase items with your virtual income? Like you make $100,000 so now you want to spend some of it, like virtually buy a boat or something for fun. Or is that not implemented.

Sorry about all the questions.
Thanks.
Dave.
UAL210
--
David Cross – UAL043

Chicago – O’Hare

Assistant Hub Manager

kordahm@virtualunitedairlines.org

UAL005 Jared Yost
VP IT and Web Technology

Re: ACARS & flight bidding..

Post by UAL005 Jared Yost » February 19th, 2018, 8:13 pm

Hi Dave - Welcome to the VA! We're glad to have you aboard.

1. We recommend smartCARS for our ACARS program. The other one on the page is older and not as used or supported anymore. smartCARS is configured to allow charter flights, so no worries there. smartCARS should work with XPUIPC if you're on Windows. If you're on a Mac, you will have to use XACARS. smartCARS can do everything the other ACARS program can and then some.
2. To file a manual PIREP, you can submit via the following link: http://virtualunitedairlines.org/index. ... /filepirep. This link can be found under Pilot Center->Options->File New PIREP. Note: Whenever you submit a manual PIREP, you must provide a link to proof of flight completion (VATAWARE, etc.).
3. If you bid on a flight, it will show up in smartCARS when you log in. However, smartCARS also has the ability to search the schedules within the application, so don't feel like you need to bid if you aren't comfortable with it yet.
4. If you are doing a charter, smartCARS lets you create charter flights, or you can submit a manual PIREP with proof of completion.
5. We do not have the ability to currently buy anymore - the virtual funds are built into the system but we do not currently utilize the feature.

If you have any further questions, let me know (or check the SOP)!

Once again, Welcome Aboard! :D
---
Jared Yost
UAL005
VP-IT and Web Technology
Virtual United Airlines

VATSIM Status

IVAO Status

projectFLY

UAL043 David Cross

Re: ACARS & flight bidding..

Post by UAL043 David Cross » February 19th, 2018, 11:10 pm

I had 1st read the SOP. and you answered everything else. Thank you for the quick feedback. Sounds easy enough. See you all in the sky : )
Dave
--
David Cross – UAL043

Chicago – O’Hare

Assistant Hub Manager

kordahm@virtualunitedairlines.org