vUAL ACARs Troubleshooting

Software troubleshooting for the KACARS software
UAL032 Caleb Shifflett

vUAL ACARs Troubleshooting

Post by UAL032 Caleb Shifflett » August 7th, 2012, 12:57 pm

After many posts have been posted concerning issues with vUAL ACARs, I wanted to address each question with proper instructions on how to resolve the issue. Others are welcome to chime in, however, let us try to keep this topic organized for future pilots who may have these issues. There are three parts to this troubleshooting. 1) Reinstalling vUAL ACARs with the User Account Control for Window Vista and higher disabled in order to successfully and fully install applications 2) Installing the most recent and current version of FSUIPC depending on the flight simulator version the pilot is running 3) Giving the necessary programs the right to Run as Administrator.

This should fix any FSUIPC issues that users are having when running vUAL ACARs. If you continue to have issues even after following these instructions order by order, instruction by instruction, you will need to do a clean uninstall of flight simulator, vUAL ACARs, and FSUIPC.

For those running Windows Vista and higher (Windows 7, Windows 8 etc) you will need to disable the User Account Control.
- Open User Accounts by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking User Accounts and Family Safety (or clicking User Accounts, if you are connected to a network domain), and then clicking User Accounts.
- Click Turn User Account Control on or off. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
- Select the check box to turn off UAC, and then click OK.

Uninstall vUAL ACARs:

- Start
- Control Panel
- Add/Remove Programs
- vUAL ACARs
- Verify vUAL ACARs folder is removed in the previous installation directory (most commonly C:/ProgramFiles (x86)/vUAL ACARs or C:/ProgramFiles(x64)/vUAL ACARs) If not, delete it.

Install vUAL ACARs:
- http://www.virtualunitedairlines.org/li ... p-1012.zip
- Open the .zip archive, run the .msi
- After installation, open vUAL ACARs and click "Info" at the top left corner, then "Settings", type in your UAL ID for "Pilot ID" and your website password under "Password". For "URL Base" and "Browser URL" enter: http://www.virtualunitedairlines.org for both. Click "ok."

Problem: I can't uninstall [FSUIPC]!
No problem here! FSUIPC does not include an uninstaller. Therefore, when you download the newest version, the .exe will write new copies of the old files from the previous installed version on your computer. Therefore, just download the newest version by following the below instructions.

Firstly, you will need to verify that you have the latest version of FSUIPC for your specific version of flight simulator installed. (I would just download the version relevant to your Flight Simulator version (FSX or FS2004) so you know you have the latest version installed)
- The current version of FSUIPC for FSX is version 4.84. You can download version 4.84 directly here: http://fsuipc.simflight.com/beta/FSUIPC4.zip
- The current version of FSUIPC for FS2004 is version 3.99 (4). You can download version 3.99 (4) directly here: http://fsuipc.simflight.com/beta/FSUIPC.zip

Installing FSUIPC

Error: Error sending message to FSUIPC and Error: The connection to FSUIPC is already open
Per Steve, you will need to grant administrator privileges to both the version of your flight simulator and vUAL ACARS:
- Right click on the program .exe file for FSX or FS2004 and vUAL ACARS and click on Run as administrator
*NOTE*:set the actual .exe to run as administrator not the shortcut (icon) created by the program.
These .exe files are located in the Program Files folder in your "C" drive or a drive you installed the applications in (i.e. C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9 and C:\Program Files\vUAL ACARs)

Problem: "No Flight Found"
- After following the above steps, open vUAL ACARs and click "Schedule" at the top
- You can either click in the drop down menu and type in the four letter ICAO code of the departing airport or you can manually go down the drop down list and select your departing airport. *NOTE: When typing in the four letter ICAO code, you will need to click in the drop down box, type in the ICAO Code, and then click the down arrow. The airport with the ICAO code you entered into the drop down box will appear high lighted. Once you verified your departure airport, click "Get Schedule"
- Find the flight that you want and click "Bid on Flight" on the bottom left of vUAL ACARs
- You can also add flight bids from the flight schedules after you are logged into the website here: http://www.virtualunitedairlines.org/in ... tSchedules or by clicking "Operations" and "Schedule Search"
- Narrow the search criterion by using the drop down fields, click "Search For Flight"
- Once you have found a flight that you would like to fly, click "Add to Bids"

With either method, once you have added a flight bid to your account (only one flight bid per account is permitted per Steve), click the "Get Flight" in vUAL ACARs.

UAL001 Vince Hendrickson

Re: vUAL ACARs Troubleshooting

Post by UAL001 Vince Hendrickson » August 7th, 2012, 2:15 pm

Thank you for putting this up Caleb, i have stickied it

UAL032 Caleb Shifflett

Post by UAL032 Caleb Shifflett » August 7th, 2012, 3:52 pm

Thanks, Steve! Hope these issues get resolved.

UAL503 Jacob Michel

Post by UAL503 Jacob Michel » August 7th, 2012, 7:50 pm

My computer blocks the FSUIPC from being run as an admin or just run, is there another way I can get credit for my flights

UAL001 Vince Hendrickson

Post by UAL001 Vince Hendrickson » August 7th, 2012, 7:58 pm

You can use Xacars or the payware Acars (FS Passengers, FS Flightkeeper). The only other way is to fly online VATSIM and then file a manual pirep. Just keep in mind, in order to file a manual Pirep you must fly on VATSIM so the flight can be verified.

UAL032 Caleb Shifflett

Post by UAL032 Caleb Shifflett » August 7th, 2012, 8:28 pm

If you disable the User Account Control, you won't need to run as administrator as disabling the UAC gives all applications the permission to run as administrator.

I included those two steps (disabling UAC or manually right clicking on the .exe and clicking run as administrator) for those individuals who want the UAC enabled so the user can explicity specify what applications can be ran as administrator at their own will and comfort.

If you have disabled the UAC, just continue on with the troubleshooter, ignoring the section where the manual run as administrator instructions are listed.

Should you still find an issue with FSUIPC even after disabling the UAC and reinstalling FSUIPC and vUAL ACARs, try enabling the UAC and following the manual method.

UAL156 Eric Dodd

Post by UAL156 Eric Dodd » November 19th, 2013, 11:48 pm

All these instructions are great! Only problem is, everyone seems to stop after the installation part. Up above it stops after "get flight" What point do we click "start flight"? I get all this way, and when I click start flight, it says check flight level, ok, no problem, I get in air, click start flight, errors out, saying already moving, ok, no frustration yet, You have to stop aircraft in order to get error to go away. I thought well maybe just taxi and then I can start. Nope, already in motion. Frustrated now. So please advise to when we are able to click start flight. What am I doing wrong! Thank you guys!

UAL326 Steven Rodriquez

Post by UAL326 Steven Rodriquez » November 20th, 2013, 1:41 am

Eric,

You have to manually enter your flight level using 5 digits (example: 35000 instead of FL350) before you can start your flight. This is after you have entered the flight number and ACARS has retrieved the flight information. You must have your parking break on at the gate to start the flight or ACARS will tell you the aircraft is moving. Just before you push back click "Start Flight," release the parking brake, and you will be okay.

UAL156 Eric Dodd

Post by UAL156 Eric Dodd » November 20th, 2013, 10:18 pm

Thank you so much

UAL156 Eric Dodd

Post by UAL156 Eric Dodd » November 20th, 2013, 10:22 pm

Click submit before I was ready. Again, thank you so much. My fault for assuming all the information from my flight planner was input. Guess I should have noticed big GREEN field to enter. :) Thank you again. It all worked and posted first PIREP.