A Couple From Work

Do you spot? If so drop by and share some shots.
UAL849 Sean Wood

A Couple From Work

Post by UAL849 Sean Wood » Aug 4th, '17, 23:29

Hey, all-

Just a few pictures I took walking out to the plane in Kwajalein before we departed to Honolulu. Enjoy!
Attachments
IMG_2830.JPG
IMG_2830.JPG (418.93 KiB) Viewed 562 times
IMG_2829.JPG
IMG_2829.JPG (473 KiB) Viewed 562 times

UAL217 Fred Shepherd

Re: A Couple From Work

Post by UAL217 Fred Shepherd » Aug 5th, '17, 01:34

Nice pics. Thanks for sharing. Are you a member of its flight crew?
Best regards always,
Fred Shepherd, ATP Captain
Denver Hub
Senior Controller (C-3), Jacksonville ARTCC

UAL849 Sean Wood

Post by UAL849 Sean Wood » Aug 5th, '17, 11:07

Thanks, Fred. Yes, I'm a First Officer in the 757/767 at my airline. Been bidding the 757 mostly the past 6 months but I'll be back on the 767 flying Amazon Prime Air routes next month.

UAL217 Fred Shepherd

Post by UAL217 Fred Shepherd » Aug 7th, '17, 11:57

Thnx Sean. Having just done a google for info on Amazon Prime Air, it appears that you are on the absolute ground floor in the development of yet another Amazon undertaking. Questions: why Cincinnati for its initial distribution center? Could it be the available land for the 950+ acre facility to be (or already) built or perhaps the geographic location or other reason?

I'm sure FedEx and UPS (and other cargo companies) are keeping a sharp eye on the Amazon venture.

Best of luck with everything!!
Best regards always,
Denver Hub

UAL849 Sean Wood

Post by UAL849 Sean Wood » Aug 11th, '17, 12:34

Thanks, Fred! It has indeed been a busy year with the Amazon ramp-up. My airline has grown exponentially in that time as well, which has been a lot of fun.

As to why Cincinnati, I don't know the whole story but the original plan had the operation at the Wilmington, OH airport and it ran pretty well. ILN is the former home of Airborne Express (now ABX Air) and all elements were/are in place, but rumor has it that Amazon wanted something (not sure what) and the airport balked. Soon after Amazon announced CVG would be the hub location. Unfortunately ILN shot itself in the foot and lost a second opportunity.

Publicly the extra land played a part, as well as the larger labor pool in the CVG area. I had also heard that Amazon chose CVG because Kentucky is a right to work state and Jeff Bezos hates unions. Way over my head but those are just a handful of reasons. My guess is that CVG gave them a sweetheart deal with room to expand and they took it. Maybe there's more to it but I'm guessing it all came down to $$$.

UAL217 Fred Shepherd

Post by UAL217 Fred Shepherd » Aug 14th, '17, 12:40

Thanks again, Sean. It'll be fascinating to watch Prime's affect upon the major cargo carriers and the operational adjustments they'll make to hold onto market share going forth.

Tis a fascinating development for sure!
Best regards always,
Denver Hub