Dulles Recap September 2017

All New/Stories related to the Capital City

Moderators: UAL045 Jason Wesche, UAL024 Eric Elia

UAL024 Eric Elia

Dulles Recap September 2017

Post by UAL024 Eric Elia » Oct 9th, '17, 13:08

Greetings to all of our Dulles pilots, I hope everything is going well for all of you. We had a great September, finally getting back over the 1000 hour threshold again, so thank you all very much for the flying that you all did.

Not bad at all considering we did that with only 38 pilots flying. With that being said we are trimming the Dulles roster of 20 inactive pilots. You all know my speech about getting your one (that's right all you need to do is fly once) flight a month to stay active with VUAL. Trust me, we do understand that this is a hobby and should always be treated as one. So when real life conflicts affect your opportunity to fly, please file for a leave of absence (LOA). You will keep your hours and ranking and not have start back at the bottom. LOA only applies to non probationary pilots.

We have a new award that has been posted, the Caribbean Relief award. If you are looking for a somewhat quick shorty to fly this is the one. I am currently finishing it up in my dinosaur DC-6B and have to admit I've been challenged on several of the landings with the inclement weather currently going on in that part of the world.

Our events office now has a new VP, Chris Woolbright and its good to have activity from them again. Participating in our events are a great way to "meet" your fellow pilots and get your "ONE" flight a month in. For the junior pilots, keep an ey out for events that are CAT Free as they give you the opportunity to fly the heavies if you so choose. Also the annual Cross the Pond East Bound is being held this Saturday, Oct 14th. Even though the all the preassigned slots may be booked, all pilots are encouraged to participate in this event. You might have a longer ground wait with out a pre-slot reservation. If you haven't done this before, it is a fun way to experience real world trans-Atlantic ops.

Now for October, we are under 200 hours month to date and at this pace we will fall short of 1000 hours. Being the broken record that I am, I am appealing to all of you to try get a couple of long haul flights in to give a boost to our monthly totals. At this pace I may get banished to the Cleveland Hub for lack of performance..... This brings me a random thought, how many of our younger pilots even now what a "record" (the vinyl disc) is? Second random thought....the KCLE hubs was shut down years ago.....

If you have any questions, problems and or suggestions please do not hesitate to contact Me or Jason Wesche with them.

Regards,

Eric Elia
UAL24 KIAD HM