Dulles June 2017 Recap

All New/Stories related to the Capital City

Moderators: UAL024 Eric Elia, UAL045 Jason Wesche

UAL024 Eric Elia

Dulles June 2017 Recap

Post by UAL024 Eric Elia » Jul 2nd, '17, 23:01

Summer is now in full swing and the summer solstice is behind us. I think I can speak for every pilot in the Dulles Hub and say I think we have a lot going on outside of our Flying Hobby. We've been off on our numbers for 2 straight months now, but that is to be expected as summer approaches and arrives.

We finished June with 719 flight hours for 261 flights. The average flight time works out to about 2.75 hours per flight. This was spread out over 43 active pilots for our hub. That put us in the middle of the pack. Historically, Dulles has been a very strong high hour hub and prior to May's hours we had gone almost 24 consecutive months logging 1000 hours or more.

I'd like to see us start another streak of 1000 hour months. We are down another 8 pilots, due to the normal attrition because of lack of flying and we have another 9 on LOA. I'd like to make a request or more of a challenge to see if I can get every pilot to fly at least 10 hours for the month of July. In simple terms its a round trip flight from Dulles to Los Angeles or San Francisco.

There has been a lot of changes in the flightsim world with the release of Prepar3d V4. It's running as a true 64 bit program. Many of the Scenery makers have already converted their products for use with V4, and providing the upgrades at no charge. PMDG has the 747 and the 777-200 available with the 777-300 and the 737 NGX following in the very near future. The TFDI 717 is available as a Beta test. Other companies such as Aerosoft are currently upgrading their aircraft for compatability as well and should be out to the customers soon. Unfortunately it did push back the much anticipated CRJ700-900 release that they have been working on. Hopefully before the end of the summer that and PMDG's DC-6 Cloudmaster will finally roll out of the hangar.

For all of my fellow US pilots, I want to wish you a very Happy 4th of july and hope you enjoy the holiday. My family will celebrate as we have for the last 35 years with BBQ hamburgers, potato chips, potato salad and homemade ice cream. Somehow I expect to get a flight or two in as well.

Also, I would like to say congratulations to Patrick Piazza (UAL528) on his retirement from the United States Air Force. Thank you for your service Patrick!

Also July is the month for the Tour de France, stage 2 was held today. You do not have to be a big cycling fan to tune into the television coverage and enjoy the beautiful countryside through out Europe.

I hope all of you have a great month and look forward to reporting back to you next month that we've started a new streak.

Regards,

Eric Elia

UAL24 KIAD HM