MSFS2020 Thoughts and opinions.

All New/Stories related to the Windy City

Moderators: UAL043 Victor Cabrales, UAL022 Colin Atwood

UAL043 Victor Cabrales

MSFS2020 Thoughts and opinions.

Post by UAL043 Victor Cabrales » October 30th, 2019, 1:11 pm

Yeap here I am opening a possible Pandora's box but I wanted to start a conversation about this "new" sim coming to a computer near you. What do you guys think about it. In my opinion it looks absolutely incredible and the technology involved seems impossible to grasp. I am in IT and they are using protocols, algorithms and cloud technology at an unprecedented level. This makes it a very special development. Let's start a friendly and amicable chat about it. What do you think? Will it knock down all the other sims out of the ballpark? Is this going to be as good as it seems? Knowing how Microsoft left everyone hanging before with MSFS in the past....do you trust them? Have you seen the progress videos? Did anyone get selected to their first tech-alpha? Go head and speak your mind and involve in conversation with me and other Vpilots.

Official MSFS2020 YT channel.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqONze ... Q/featured

Official MSFS2020 Site.
https://www.flightsimulator.com
Victor Cabrales
AHM KORD UAL043

UAL124 Joel Wolk

Re: MSFS2020 Thoughts and opinions.

Post by UAL124 Joel Wolk » November 3rd, 2019, 10:49 am

Hey Victor,

This is definitely a good conversation to have assuming everyone who contributes remains respectful and objective in their thoughts and opinions.

With that in mind, I always preface discussions like this by saying, in my opinion, as flight simmers we always hold utmost respect for the choices those in our community make in how they go about their passion to fly. If one chooses to fly X-Plane and another chooses to fly P3Dv4 then GREAT... whatever advances the overall cause of flight simulation. Let's not argue about which one is "better"... they both have their own merits and it one shouldn't be judged as "right" or "wrong" in choosing one or the other so long as it makes sense for the individual and keeps flight simulation relevant, vibrant, and ongoing.

Okay then, what about this Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020? My personal thoughts... yes, I've seen the amazing renderings this thing seems capable of on YouTube. I'm literally blown away. I'm just wondering how amazing it would be to flight sim in an environment like that.

Now, my personal situation is that I'm one of the few remaining still chugging away on FS9/Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004. I won't go into all the details... suffice to say it works, is very reliable, and despite the dated graphics is a very enjoyable, stable flying experience.... to this day. Full disclosure, I combine it with Active Sky Evolution for accurate, current weather and upgraded sky and cloud renderings. This is great... but I know the days are numbered, I mean this is software that is old enough to get its driver's license. I can't stay on it forever and will need to upgrade my system at some point... I just don't know how long it will hold out --- a month, a couple of years... or ???

Up until recently, I would have said that P3D will be my sim of choice when I upgrade. But maybe... just maybe... the waters are muddied a bit now with MSFS2020. I do personally believe that Microsoft did abandon the flight simulator community --- my belief (right or wrong) is that MS judged flight simming would die due to the increasing popularity of devices like tablets and smart phones. They were wrong. And now they want to get back in because they see how vibrant the community is... and want to benefit financially. Let's also not forget the short tenure of "Microsoft Flight" a few years back that gave a run at this on the subscription-based model, if I recall correctly.

Given the above... as for me... I'll wait. I'll watch. I'll see what happens. Do I trust Microsoft? Not currently. Am I automatically ruling out MS2020? Not yet. Need more information. I know eventually I'll need to make a decision... when the time comes, it could be a tough one.

Hope I didn't offend anyone with the content of my post here... there was no intention to whatsoever. Just express where I am on this whole MSFS2020 thing and emphasize that at the end of the day, I CAN say I'm in favor of ANYTHING that keeps flight simulation strong, vibrant, and ongoing.

UAL141 Thierry Nguepdjo

Post by UAL141 Thierry Nguepdjo » November 13th, 2019, 2:38 am

Been following it all very closely on Avsim and signed up for the Insider program. I'm very excited for the new platform although I don't think I'll ditch P3D right away as I'm sure it'll take some time for all the addons to catch up.

UAL124 Joel Wolk

Post by UAL124 Joel Wolk » November 18th, 2019, 11:43 am

This video got posted four days ago.

Wow.... I mean WOWW! I am by no means set on any course of action for my next flight sim, but as this thing continues to roll forward I feel it just going to get harder and harder to say no to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2HwLeJSAGc

UAL008 Kevin Finch
VP Events

Post by UAL008 Kevin Finch » November 18th, 2019, 8:57 pm

I'm being very pragmatic about this, mainly because I doubt that my gear will run MS2020 when it launches. That my 10-year-old i7 920/AMD R9 200 is running P3DV4 is amazing enough to me. So suffice it to say that I will need to build a new box next year. Even though we don't have a machine spec for MS2020 yet, I think some of the online pundits have said they saw RTX2080Ti cards in the demo boxes they used in Renton. That's a little rich for my blood now - especially factoring in the 30% US$ to Cdn$ exchange rate. I think it might be more like MSFS2021 for me... (grin)

Since I'm getting acquainted with the Aerosoft Airbus family, it's unlikely that I will pick up the PMDG 737ux. For me, right now, with my gear, I think the "ux" would mean "useless expense". And, if I'm looking at a US$140 for the NG3 plus a guesstimated US$60 737MAX addon, I think I will pass altogether and make the BarbieBus my mainliner of choice. Again, the cost of upgrading the PMDGs and who knows what else may extend my stay on P3DV4 for longer than expected.

Lastly, I'll likely have to bump up my Internet package if we're going to be sipping scenery from a 3-Petabyte library as we cruise round the world. I've already got higher than normal for my locale but I might have to change suppliers to get fibre.

Maybe I should come out of retirement to pay for my addiction, eh? (grin)

But she sure does look pretty, don't she?