VATSPY® Updating missing airports and such

For discussion regarding FS9 and FSX
UAL008 Keith Rocke

VATSPY® Updating missing airports and such

Post by UAL008 Keith Rocke » June 10th, 2016, 12:36 pm

Gentlemen and Lady (Pam). As I move around the globe - using Vatspy® on the VATSIM® Network - I've encountered (missing) airports (ICAO) Codes. The latest (for me) is a flight from OMSJ to VIBN. In this example... VIBN is NOT found in the VatSpy® Dataset. Well, as ICAO codes change, new airports added/removed... no one (on the development side) is in the office to update the VatSpy® Dataset.

Tinkering is what I do. I'm bad (good) at that. :shock: In the example above... I've fixed it :ugeek:

So, for those of you that fly Online with VATSIM® and also use VatSpy® (why you won't would be a mystery), should you encounter a missing or un-known Airport or Sectors... please reply on this post and I will tinker sommore to fix it. I will then make available the Updated Dataset so every one can enjoy the Online experience.

Thanks,

Keith KIAH HM

UAL238 Tom Housworth

Re: VATSPY® Updating missing airports and such

Post by UAL238 Tom Housworth » October 17th, 2016, 9:12 am

Noticed yesterday that KJAC, Jackson Hole WY needs to be entered.

Thanks!!

Tom - UAL238

UAL008 Keith Rocke

Post by UAL008 Keith Rocke » October 17th, 2016, 12:12 pm

Tom. Here's your FIX. YOU GET TO PUT ON THE SURGICAL GOWN AND GLOVES. :lol: Follow these steps...
  • locate the file VATSPY.DAT. It's usually located in the VAT-Spy folder... inside an AppData folder... inside of YourUserName folder... inside of My Documents folder... (ex: C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Application Data\VAT-Spy)
    open/edit it with Notepad
    search (1st) for "KJAC"... if you're right, you wont find it. If you're wrong, then it's there and I can't help any further
    if it's NOT there, search then for "KIZG". If you find it, check the line below and see if "KJAN" is the next line
    if that is true, then go to the beginning of the "KJAN" line and press the ENTER KEY to create a blank line
    go up to the blank line, COPY the following text then paste it into the blank line
KJAC|Jackson Hole WY|43.6073333|-110.7377500|JAC|KZLC|0

it should now look like this...

KIZG|Fryeburg Eastern Slopes Reg. ME|43.991144|-70.947875|IZG|KZBW|0
KJAC|Jackson Hole WY|43.6073333|-110.7377500|JAC|KZLC|0
KJAN|Jackson Intl MS|32.311183|-90.075894|JAN|KZME|0

close and SAVE the .DAT file and you're good to go.

If you can't find KIZG and/or KJAN then perhaps you need to - at least - crawl the web in search of a newer build of VAT-Spy.

Please note. vUAL has no jurisdiction or control of VAT-Spy. VAT-Spy is NOT promoted or made available from vUAL's downloads page. VAT-Spy is a standalone VATSIM packet sniffer. I can only help find a solution based on a good question. I am not FREE to upload any VAT-Spy datafiles as I am NOT the creator nor do I want to break any Copyright rules.

So, give this a shot and report back. Don't forget to restart VAT-Spy after the edit.

Keith VP EVENTS

UAL238 Tom Housworth

Post by UAL238 Tom Housworth » October 21st, 2016, 6:09 am

Thanks Keith....your solution worked like a Champ!!

Tom
UAL238

UAL008 Keith Rocke

Post by UAL008 Keith Rocke » November 8th, 2016, 11:06 am

SOCA. It's NOT the latest Caribbean music craze... a la 'Hard Wine'. :lol: SOCA is, in reality, the ICAO Code for Cayenne – Félix Eboué Airport in French Guiana (Guyana). But, should you have an outdated VATSpy data file, any aircraft flying from SOCA to any other airport may very well show up as flying from Southern California. Ah Ha... get it? SOCAL? So... FIX IT!

Keith VP EVENTS