FSX or prepar 3d?

For discussion of what our real world counterparts and other airlines are doing in the world.
UAL535 William Khoemarga

FSX or prepar 3d?

Post by UAL535 William Khoemarga » Dec 25th, '17, 08:53

hi gaes. i just thinking about my flight simulator
im using FSX so far, but i also hear that FSX has not under development anymore (and it was last develop in 98) which mean it very long time with no update. I just thinking to using prpear 3d v4. how was you guys think?
is prepar 3d v4 good ? how about screen shoot ? can you post some screen shoot ?
i hear the graphic on prepar 3d is very good
Regards,

William

UAL009 Eric Fields
VP of Public Relations

Re: FSX or prepar 3d?

Post by UAL009 Eric Fields » Dec 28th, '17, 00:26

A number of us have made the switch over to P3D. Now that I've made it, I wouldn't even look back. With 64b program, you rarely get crash to desktop and the graphics are amazing. I'm always surprised at seeing the stars twinkle and amazed at the cloud layers. The only drawback so far is there is limited software for P3D. But that is changing and more and more is coming out. The future is definitely P3D.

UAL277 Kevin Finch

Post by UAL277 Kevin Finch » Dec 29th, '17, 18:32

This should probably be under FSX Help or P3D Help...

I got back into simming in early 2016 after five years away. I was using FS9 when I left and came back using FSX:SE. It was an improvement but I was still plagued by system crashes when the sim ran out of memory. P3D V3.x was an improvement - visually - but still the out of memory issues persisted. So, I jumped on P3D V4 when it came out and I haven't looked back.

Yes, there are gaps; no 757, 767 or 787. No Embraers. No Airbus 33x, 34x, etc., but that situation is improving.

I would strongly recommend moving to P3D V4.1 unless the missing airframes are your favourite rides. If they are, I'm guessing that the 757 and 787 will be out by summer. The Aerosoft buses should be out by summer, I think. No Embraers on the horizon but the CRJ is available as is the Dash.

Your other option - less favourable in my mind - would be to move to X-Plane. It's also 64-bit and more airframes are available. FSX/P3D developers are starting to write for it. The cost of starting anew may be offset by the lower cost of the sim and some of the addons.

UAL004 Danny Vinson
Assistant VP Human Resources

Post by UAL004 Danny Vinson » Jan 4th, '18, 00:37

I am still confused how it is that people are able to use P3D in their homes when the website clearly says it is not allowed? :

"Prepar3D is not to be used, offered, sold or distributed through markets or channels for use as a personal/consumer entertainment product.

Please review the End User License Agreement for detailed information."

What is it I am missing here?
Danny R Vinson,UAL004
Asst VP Human Resources

• Public Relations Manager

UAL277 Kevin Finch

Post by UAL277 Kevin Finch » Jan 4th, '18, 11:30

I know, it's confusing and I avoided making the jump due to cost and what you're saying, Danny.

Under Prepar3D Professional License Options, LM notes: The license is available to those that are training, instructing, simulating, or learning.

For me, that line is the loop hole. We're simulating airline operations and/or GA flying; some may be simulating military operations, as well.

A greater concern is the number of people who use the Academic licence; I'm sure several are not K-12 or undergrad aviation students.

With LM showing up at events such as FlightSimCon, on the front cover of PC Pilot, and with LM staffer Rob Ainscough featuring so prominently in various forums - P3D, AVSIM, etc. - I take that as tacit approval to use P3D as we do.

LM needs the critical mass of the serious simming community to convince FSX devs to program for P3D as much as the devs need to sell product to folks like us because the days of FSX are dwindling. A dev featured on the LM site https://www.fs-flightcontrol.com/en/ says of their product, "…For all flight enthusiast we provide a price-reduced version for home use."

I think the one thing that LM does not want to get into is "consumer/entertainment" support and that's why they've positioned/priced their products as they have.

That's my 2¢ worth, anyways...

UAL277 Kevin Finch

Post by UAL277 Kevin Finch » Jan 4th, '18, 11:35

UAL277 Kevin Finch wrote:
Dec 29th, '17, 18:32
I would strongly recommend moving to P3D V4.1 unless the missing airframes are your favourite rides. If they are, I'm guessing that the 757 and 787 will be out by summer…
Captain Sim just released their 757-200 with PW engines. Not wishing to start a discussion of the merits of CS, just noting that one P3D V4 fleet gap has a new option to fill it.

UAL004 Danny Vinson
Assistant VP Human Resources

Post by UAL004 Danny Vinson » Jan 4th, '18, 13:51

I feel the same about their participation in PC events being their “approval” of the use for home use; it’s such a mixed signal. If they were that concerned with people using it for entertainment purposes, they would have a process for proving you are a student/instructor of some kind.

I think I might migrate over there soon! Lol
Danny R Vinson,UAL004
Asst VP Human Resources

• Public Relations Manager

UAL371 Jonathan Stevens

Post by UAL371 Jonathan Stevens » Jan 5th, '18, 14:04

All the developers for P3d, scenery/aircraft,WX etc, all came from FS9/FSX - to use for entertainment at home. :roll:

LM very well know the vast majority use it for that purpose only. It just covers their butt somewhere down the line. 8-)

UAL673 Pat Schoof

Post by UAL673 Pat Schoof » Jan 5th, '18, 22:46

To the base question, P3D. You might also consider taking a run with a free demo of XP. It is a jump to get used to but has some nice features.