Why I chose NOT to buy a GTX 1080 Ti

All the general Virtual United Discussion happens here.
UAL277 Tim Haibach

Why I chose NOT to buy a GTX 1080 Ti

Post by UAL277 Tim Haibach » April 11th, 2020, 11:51 pm

Many of us think that the GTX 1080i is the holy grail of gaming because it has 11 GB of VRAM. What most people don't understand is it goes deeper than that. What is the speed of the memory? What is the size of the bus transmitting that data? Are there issues with bottlenecking? Below are the specs of both cards. As of this post the GTX 1080 Ti is now over 3 years old. With all things computing, the performance of new hardware doubles every 18months so it's definitely dated. They are also very difficult to obtain as they are not being actively manufactured any longer. The video shows the RTX 2080 continually edges out the GTX 1080 Ti. Less VRAM, but faster memory bus and more efficient processing. Of course, if you can afford something with better performance than the RTX 2080, go for it! Your graphics card is the singe most important piece of hardware to impact frame rates (FPS).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo

GTX 1080 Ti
--------------
Boost Speed- 1.582 Ghz
11 GB DDR5 Vram
?? Memory Bandwidth
No Ray Tracing
Older Generation

RTX 2080
-----------
Boost Speed- 1.710 Ghz
8 GB DDR6 Vram
448 GB/s Memory Bandwidth
Ray Tracing for compatible games
Newer Generation

So the saying holds true- "It's not how big it is, but how you use it." I'm referring to memory, bus, and latency you dirty birds, lol.