American Airlines flights on the schedule, thoughts after one month

All the general Virtual United Discussion happens here.

American Airlines flights on the schedule, one month later I have....

Flown 100% of my flights in August as AA, and my overall VUAL activity increased vs. prior months
No votes
Flown some AA flights in August and my overall VUAL activity has increased a little vs. prior months
11%
Flown some AA flights in August, but my overall VUAL activity has not changed vs. prior months
39%
Flown no AA flights yet, but will in the future
33%
Flown no AA flights, and have no intention to fly them in the future
17%

Total votes: 18

UAL001 Gary Price
CEO

American Airlines flights on the schedule, thoughts after one month

Post by UAL001 Gary Price » September 1st, 2019, 2:58 pm

Please let us know your feedback! Thanks!
Gary Price
UAL001
Chief Executive Officer
Virtual United Airlines

UAL124 Joel Wolk

Re: American Airlines flights on the schedule, thoughts after one month

Post by UAL124 Joel Wolk » September 3rd, 2019, 8:49 am

I am one of the "no" votes but wanted to elaborate...

I am perfectly happy with the United routes available to me and will continue to fly them. These fulfill the entirety of my "personal needs" to be a virtual airline pilot.

Having said the above, now, I do fully support the AA flights on the schedule... simply on the idea that if this helps this VA to thrive and flourish, then I definitely prefer to have them there --- even if I am not personally using them.

Hope that makes sense.

UAL001 Gary Price
CEO

Post by UAL001 Gary Price » September 3rd, 2019, 4:40 pm

Joel,

Thanks for the note. Really appreciate the feedback! Yes, your answer makes sense! Thank you!

Gary
Gary Price
UAL001
Chief Executive Officer
Virtual United Airlines

UAL701 Tim Haibach

Post by UAL701 Tim Haibach » September 5th, 2019, 12:40 am

While I will always prefer flying United routes, I have found it convenient that AAL flights add the ability for me to fly my aircraft of choice- B737-800 on a short route between Houston and Dallas-Fort Worth. The AAL routes also opened up a couple tropical routes to the Bahamas that I plan to fly.

Adding the AAL routes didn't influence any increase of the # of flights over the past month, but definitely provided route variety. So, I appreciate the addition of the AAL routes for flexibility considering it would be almost a full time job to realistically mirror the United flight schedule as can be searched on Flightaware.com.

UAL043 Victor Cabrales

Post by UAL043 Victor Cabrales » September 6th, 2019, 8:08 am

I personally think that adding AA is a good move but I would also like to see some freight carriers. Maybe drop the airline that is used the least based on PIREPs and adding FedEx or UPS cargo routes. I've spoken to a few of our pilots about it and they agree that mixing it up with some freight sectors would make the VA even more varied. Just my two cents. :)
Victor Cabrales
AHM KORD UAL043

UAL909 Filipe Nunez

Post by UAL909 Filipe Nunez » September 7th, 2019, 12:48 pm

UAL124 Joel Wolk wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 8:49 am
I am perfectly happy with the United routes available to me and will continue to fly them. These fulfill the entirety of my "personal needs" to be a virtual airline pilot.

Having said the above, now, I do fully support the AA flights on the schedule... simply on the idea that if this helps this VA to thrive and flourish, then I definitely prefer to have them there --- even if I am not personally using them.

Hope that makes sense.
Same, no harm in keeping them and since the MD80 has been removed from AA fleet, i might fly that old bird in the future 8-)

UAL023 Jeremy Young

Post by UAL023 Jeremy Young » September 7th, 2019, 11:27 pm

Bring it on. Now, will I have to leave my other AA VA is the question...

UAL006 Pat Schoof
VP Fleet

Post by UAL006 Pat Schoof » September 8th, 2019, 12:12 pm

@Jeremy, I do not think so. I left the one I was with not exclusively because of our schedule change(s).

Pat

UAL141 Thierry Nguepdjo

Post by UAL141 Thierry Nguepdjo » September 10th, 2019, 6:35 pm

UAL043 Victor Cabrales wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 8:08 am
I personally think that adding AA is a good move but I would also like to see some freight carriers. Maybe drop the airline that is used the least based on PIREPs and adding FedEx or UPS cargo routes. I've spoken to a few of our pilots about it and they agree that mixing it up with some freight sectors would make the VA even more varied. Just my two cents. :)
I second this! It would definitely be nice to fly some cargo routes and open up additional city pairings that way. I also appreciate and enjoy the variety that having the AA routes has added. I will be leaving my AA VA as a result of this and I'd rather put in the hours here.