Sitting through transocean flights

All the general Virtual United Discussion happens here.
UAL463 Tom Baird

Sitting through transocean flights

Post by UAL463 Tom Baird » March 6th, 2018, 8:39 pm

I'm wondering if guys who fly over the oceans are sitting at their computers at 1x speed for the required time (as much as 14 hours)? What am I missing?

UAL005 Jared Yost
VP IT and Web Technology

Re: Sitting through transocean flights

Post by UAL005 Jared Yost » March 6th, 2018, 10:32 pm

I can tell you I'm either working on things on my computer or I'm not actually sitting there but rather checking up on it every once in a while.
---
Jared Yost
UAL005
VP-IT and Web Technology
Virtual United Airlines

VATSIM Status

IVAO Status

projectFLY

UAL006 Pat Schoof
VP Fleet

Post by UAL006 Pat Schoof » March 7th, 2018, 7:58 pm

I did a Beijing to EWR on VATSIM, once. Made the whole flight without a SUP call or anything.

UAL044 Kevin Finch

Post by UAL044 Kevin Finch » March 8th, 2018, 4:20 am

IRL, the crew would swap out with a relief crew on the plane.

I suspect that some members fly these long flights offline or start/end on VATSIM and disconnect from the network but keep the flight going on their computers and in ACARS. Trouble is, if ACARS goes down - and it can from time to time - you've lost your flight. If ACARS goes down while you're on VATSIM, you have an alternate record of your flight that gets you credit.

UAL909 Filipe Nunez

Post by UAL909 Filipe Nunez » March 9th, 2018, 8:08 pm

UAL005 Jared Yost wrote:
March 6th, 2018, 10:32 pm
I can tell you I'm either working on things on my computer or I'm not actually sitting there but rather checking up on it every once in a while.
Same, i go about my day & get back ~1hr before approach, rarely get contact by ivao supervisors or acars goes down...theres no way im gona be glued to pc for a long arse haul :lol: :mrgreen:

UAL043 David Cross

Post by UAL043 David Cross » April 13th, 2018, 7:30 am

What is the appeal of flying these on a Sim let alone in real life?
Your using a graphic intensive program for hours and hours, which is causing more heat on your card and processor shortening the life of your computer. For what? Your not even flying. It's a hobby. Still if your not actually engaged with the AC and chatting it up in discord, teamspeak vatsim or pilotedge then i don't get it. I'm not judging. I'm just curious. My flights are typically 45 min air time. So gate to gate I'm usually flying online for two hours. And it's busy work the entire time. I may even do two flights a day. For me the hobby is sitting at my computer and flying. Take me away fron my real life stesses. Surely your not flying to gain fake money you can't even use to buy fake items. The money builds but without anything to show for it. So why the 16 hours of letting your computers burn up?
--
David Cross – UAL043

Chicago – O’Hare

Assistant Hub Manager

kordahm@virtualunitedairlines.org

UAL909 Filipe Nunez

Post by UAL909 Filipe Nunez » April 13th, 2018, 9:30 pm

True that, but i enjoy flying heavy metal (757,747,787) so cant really do/like shorty flight,trusty 737/A320 is used for my short flights.... if i did i would fly VFR but not my cup of tea..as for pc shorterning life, heck no, my pc its 8yrs And hasnt burped once on any flight (check 787 test flight ~20hrs long!), besides some pcs are on 24/7, with propr cooling they can run nonstop... i dont do it for hours or anything just a hobby which i enjoy, to each their own i guess...besides on these looong flights the fun part is the approach sometimes with low visibility, gusty winds... and since i do the final approach manually regardless of weather, trust me i get busy specially with bad weather & heavy metal, although i must admit i sometimes land on taxiways :/

UAL043 David Cross

Post by UAL043 David Cross » April 14th, 2018, 12:25 am

Interesting concept. Well you said it. It is what you like. I think the idea of arriving into a country after being over water would be exciting. Your not alone. I see many on vatsim crossing the pond.
--
David Cross – UAL043

Chicago – O’Hare

Assistant Hub Manager

ual738 joe hill

Post by ual738 joe hill » July 16th, 2018, 1:23 pm

I use to fly online all the time, I have over 5000 hours on VATSIM as a pilot. Before there was VATSIM , there was SATCO. I'm 72 years old now and I don't fly as much but enjoy the heavy metal. My understanding about crossing the pond online was that you had to remain online the whole trip and VATSIM didn't allow you to reconnect after crossing the pond. VATSIM ATC controllers can correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks.
Joe

UAL043 David Cross

Post by UAL043 David Cross » July 18th, 2018, 11:37 am

I'm not a comtroller. But I'll admit my curiosity got me digging one day. I wrote down several vatsim id's which crossed the pond and looked up there flight on vataware. On just about all of them you see a disconnect. Only online near land. So i don't think any Vatsim management would ever get on your case about it. Your probably safer flying across the pond on and off line than you would be flying coast to coast ie JFK TO LAX. There i think you would need to stay glued to your desk. My flights personally are usually less than 300 miles. More fun that way for me. But i get the joy of feeling the accomplishment of crossing the ocean. i might do it one day and plan it on a vatsim planned event out of the BOS OR JFK area. So when i arrive I'll have ATC to land.
Dave
--
David Cross – UAL043

Chicago – O’Hare

Assistant Hub Manager