Sitting through transocean flights

All the general Virtual United Discussion happens here.
ual738 joe hill

Re: Sitting through transocean flights

Post by ual738 joe hill » July 16th, 2018, 1:23 pm

I use to fly online all the time, I have over 5000 hours on VATSIM as a pilot. Before there was VATSIM , there was SATCO. I'm 72 years old now and I don't fly as much but enjoy the heavy metal. My understanding about crossing the pond online was that you had to remain online the whole trip and VATSIM didn't allow you to reconnect after crossing the pond. VATSIM ATC controllers can correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks.
Joe

UAL043 David Cross

Post by UAL043 David Cross » July 18th, 2018, 11:37 am

I'm not a comtroller. But I'll admit my curiosity got me digging one day. I wrote down several vatsim id's which crossed the pond and looked up there flight on vataware. On just about all of them you see a disconnect. Only online near land. So i don't think any Vatsim management would ever get on your case about it. Your probably safer flying across the pond on and off line than you would be flying coast to coast ie JFK TO LAX. There i think you would need to stay glued to your desk. My flights personally are usually less than 300 miles. More fun that way for me. But i get the joy of feeling the accomplishment of crossing the ocean. i might do it one day and plan it on a vatsim planned event out of the BOS OR JFK area. So when i arrive I'll have ATC to land.
Dave
--
David Cross – UAL043

Chicago – O’Hare

Assistant Hub Manager

kordahm@virtualunitedairlines.org

UAL143 Tim Haibach

Post by UAL143 Tim Haibach » November 22nd, 2018, 1:35 am

In my FS9 days, I also enjoyed flying the heavy metal (B747-400). I was the VP of Training for Virtual US Airways (my hometown airline IRL). I have participated in at least couple VATSIM "cross the pond" event. Yes, they were long. Yes, back then, you had to fly at 1x, and no you couldn't disconnect. Many from my VA of the time participated and I gave a 1-2 hr training session on North Atlantic Track (NAT) routes and the differences in procedures, reporting, and communications which is vastly different than flying domestically. We also private messaged each other to pass the time. Yes, those were the days before voice comms. It was funny that IRL, ATC was transitioning to text, and flight sim (VATSIM) was transitioning to voice. Go figure!

I wouldn't want to do it every month, but 1-2 times yr as part of a major event where you get to see your TCAS screen light up turn almost completely white (hopefully not red) with all the targets, to fly a holding pattern 3-5 levels deep of aircraft, and to land and see that each plane represents a live human that made the journey; was truly fulfilling.

I'm certain I prematurely aged my then Intel Pentium P200MMX with 2 gig ram and a 1.2 Gig HD and a 56k baud modem. I spent my 3 months terminal leave after the Army simming almost full time, lol. I ran a website called virtualfbo.net. I remember the sun going down and coming up outside my bedroom window when I finally landed. Those were the days!

I agree with a previous post that unless you are building flight time (which you shouldn't at that point need to flying a widebody a/c), or are participating in a sponsored event, I personally don't get much mental stimulation from monitoring gauges the whole time. If VATSIM now allows disconnect at cruise with planned reconnect at LAT LONG X/Y at XXXX time, I would see that as an improvement to the flexibility for the flight sim community. If you have never done it at least once, there is so much more to experience and learn as you fly with Gander Oceanic being staffed. You begin to truly appreciate how high, dark, and lonely it is on those NAT routes. I encourage you all to try it at least once! Maybe vUAL can arrange an event for 2019 with a fairly long lead time to "save the date" and participate. All you need is time, willingness to learn, and familiarity with the aircraft you will fly for the event. Saab 340's need not apply;-)

Tim Haibach
UAL143- KORD

UAL237 Andrew Grey

Post by UAL237 Andrew Grey » November 30th, 2018, 12:54 pm

Joe Hill, I'm 49. I used to fly on SATCO too. Was one of the original members. Trying to use MSFS2000 on Windows 2000 was a nightmare. I don't fly online too much anymore because there's so many people that have no idea what they are doing and don't seem to want to learn the right way. And I have had more ATC controllers than I can count send me right through the ILS when they forget to clear me for the approach, they turn you at the wrong time etc. Or else they descend you too late or other mistakes. That gets pretty irritating after a long flight.

I try to start overseas flights in the evening so that when I wake up in the morning, I'm hopefully still running and can land soon after. I think people make the long flights basically to rack up a lot of hours at one time.

Andrew Grey
UAL237