Sitting through transocean flights

All the general Virtual United Discussion happens here.
ual738 joe hill

Re: Sitting through transocean flights

Post by ual738 joe hill » July 16th, 2018, 1:23 pm

I use to fly online all the time, I have over 5000 hours on VATSIM as a pilot. Before there was VATSIM , there was SATCO. I'm 72 years old now and I don't fly as much but enjoy the heavy metal. My understanding about crossing the pond online was that you had to remain online the whole trip and VATSIM didn't allow you to reconnect after crossing the pond. VATSIM ATC controllers can correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks.
Joe

UAL043 David Cross

Re: Sitting through transocean flights

Post by UAL043 David Cross » July 18th, 2018, 11:37 am

I'm not a comtroller. But I'll admit my curiosity got me digging one day. I wrote down several vatsim id's which crossed the pond and looked up there flight on vataware. On just about all of them you see a disconnect. Only online near land. So i don't think any Vatsim management would ever get on your case about it. Your probably safer flying across the pond on and off line than you would be flying coast to coast ie JFK TO LAX. There i think you would need to stay glued to your desk. My flights personally are usually less than 300 miles. More fun that way for me. But i get the joy of feeling the accomplishment of crossing the ocean. i might do it one day and plan it on a vatsim planned event out of the BOS OR JFK area. So when i arrive I'll have ATC to land.
Dave
--
David Cross – UAL043

Chicago – O’Hare

Assistant Hub Manager

kordahm@virtualunitedairlines.org