How to land smoothly? (more precisely how to flare?)

All the general Virtual United Discussion happens here.
UAL720 John Kim

How to land smoothly? (more precisely how to flare?)

Post by UAL720 John Kim » July 3rd, 2017, 11:28 pm

Hello, captains.

Although I watched several youtube videos regarding flares both in real world and flight sim, I still struggle to nail it down. I am aiming to hit the golden rate between 0 and -50 fpm, but it seems getting worse and worse (recently one was almost -700fpm).

Can anyone (especially those who have Tripple Crown Award) share your way to achieve a smooth landing using PMDG aircrafts?

I am working on PMDG 772 (BTW, P3D V4 is awesome. No more worries on VAS problem.) but it seems that having a right flare with 772 is a lot difficult than 737 series.

Please kindly share your wisdom so that I may become a "smooth" landing pilot.

Thank you for your tip in advance.

Cheers.

John Kim (UAL720)

UAL518 Richard Walsh

Re: How to land smoothly? (more precisely how to flare?)

Post by UAL518 Richard Walsh » July 4th, 2017, 8:02 pm

Its all in your approach. When do you disconnect the auto pilot? You have to have a feel for the aircraft as you land. If you have the AP on until you are almost touching down you wont have a feel for the aircraft.If you have a stable approach I start to slowly pull back on the yoke at the 50AGL call out. and then hold it as the engines idle out at 20AGL. You should touch down smoothly. Keep in mind a great landing is centerline ,first 3rd of the runway. The fpm comes after.

UAL277 Kevin Finch

Post by UAL277 Kevin Finch » November 29th, 2017, 3:00 pm

Try some autolands and watch/listen for visual/aural clues. Where is the other end of the runway on my windscreen? When does the plane start the flare, i.e., how many seconds after I hear "50" or "30"? When you have the hang of that, try taking the AP off at 1,000+ feet and follow Richard's advice.

UAL636 Victor Cabrales

Post by UAL636 Victor Cabrales » January 31st, 2018, 2:59 pm

In my experience with the A320. I pay close attention to the GPWS and as it calls out "30" I disengage the AP and "feel" the aircraft. Now, this is not always advisable especially if there is a mean cross wind UNLESS you are already properly trimmed for the approach with the cross wind. After the "30" call out I disengage the AP and allow for the Bus to tell me to "Retard" which should be right over the TDZ or shortly before it. Once I retard he throttle the flare follows it. A gentle slight pull on the stick is all thats usually needed. As with everything it takes practice.
A320 Bus Flyer and CRJ fan.
Instagram.com/vicsim2007

UAL673 Pat Schoof

Post by UAL673 Pat Schoof » January 31st, 2018, 7:40 pm

Also look up the landing reference for your aircraft. It will help with the configuration (flaps, speed) setup. Some planes it also changes on landing weight. On some planes, you can also see what your (+/-) fpm is as you fly. Typically, my 738 is descending at around 600 fpm on ILS final. When I flare I get it to less than 300; a number I can live with. A bunch of the time I will not file a flight over 300!

UAL001 Gary Price
CEO

Post by UAL001 Gary Price » February 3rd, 2018, 7:36 pm

The Airbus is a machine I will never understand or land smoothly.... but I love flying the thing! LOL

Gary
Gary Price
UAL001
Chief Executive Officer
Virtual United Airlines

UAL024 Eric Elia

Post by UAL024 Eric Elia » February 4th, 2018, 12:48 am

Gary is Airbus' secret weapon for improving sales, he forces airlines to keep replacing the ones he's "landed", due to defective landing gear and other structural failures. :lol:

UAL001 Gary Price
CEO

Post by UAL001 Gary Price » February 5th, 2018, 1:19 am

good point,,,, i never really thought of it that way...

I am going to start buying Airbus stock.... I do love flying their planes! haha

Gary
Gary Price
UAL001
Chief Executive Officer
Virtual United Airlines