REAL LIFE ATP PILOTS

All the general Virtual United Discussion happens here.
UAL004 Danny Vinson
Assistant VP Human Resources

REAL LIFE ATP PILOTS

Post by UAL004 Danny Vinson » Feb 22nd, '17, 11:34

Question: Do you feel as a real life ATP pilot you should be given the P5 certification automatically, or follow the same testing and check ride curriculum as all other hobbyists that enjoy the VATSIM network?
Danny R Vinson,UAL004
Asst VP Human Resources

• Public Relations Manager

UAL518 Richard Walsh

Re: REAL LIFE ATP PILOTS

Post by UAL518 Richard Walsh » Feb 22nd, '17, 20:11

I would say since getting the P5 isnt a requirement they should have to get the same as anyone else. None of the P ratings are required so no need for someone to be awarded it without actually going through it like anyone else would.

UAL277 Kevin Finch

Post by UAL277 Kevin Finch » Feb 23rd, '17, 09:43

I believe - things may have changed while I was away from simming for a few years - that real-life controllers can start off at Center on VATSIM, without working their way up from Dispatch. Perhaps offering an ATP a P5 in exchange for 10-15 hours as a VATSTAR trainer would be of interest to them.

UAL004 Danny Vinson
Assistant VP Human Resources

Post by UAL004 Danny Vinson » Feb 23rd, '17, 15:28

Thanks for the replies!

As the PR Manager for VATSTAR, I realized some RL pilots feel a bit belittled for having to go through VATSIM training when they are a RL ATP pilot and fly passenger jets for a living.

I understand the ratings are not required as of yet, but we are working on a new way of thinking when it comes to handing out ranks. Mostly working to have VA's adopt a basic requirement to achieve at least a P2 rating before hopping into the larger aircraft; but it would be something each individual VA would work out themselves.

I think we need to explain we are not questioning your abilities.....we are teaching you the online hobby. VATSIM has its way of doing things that need to be learned; the practical side of testing should be a breeze!
Danny R Vinson,UAL004
Asst VP Human Resources

• Public Relations Manager

UAL048 Duane Palmore

Post by UAL048 Duane Palmore » Apr 11th, '17, 00:51

My question would be, how much of the curriculum beyond P1 is VATSIM specific? If the weight of what's being taught in the P2-P5 rating is better than 15% VATSIM only, I would say take the courses. If the VATSIM content is below that I would agree with the award of P5 after acting as a check airman for a brief period.